When signing up for payroll services that include tax filing, you’ll be asked to fill out Form 8655. The company won’t be able to file or deposit your taxes until you submit the form.
So, what is IRS Form 8655 used for? Find out below.
What is Form 8655 and What is It Used for?
Form 8655, Reporting Agent Authorization, is a tax form to authorize a reporting agent to file certain information returns on your behalf.
Specifically, Form 8655 authorizes reporting agents to:
- Sign and file certain forms
- Make deposits and payments for certain returns
- Receive duplicate copies of tax information, notices, and other communication from the IRS
- Provide the IRS with information to aid in penalty relief determinations
To allow the reporting agent to perform those activities, you must complete Form 8655 and submit it to the IRS. You will also need to provide the reporting agent with a signed power of attorney (Form 2848) that grants them authority to act on your behalf. Once you have completed and submitted these forms, the reporting agent will be able to file information returns on your behalf.
However, even if you filed the Form 8655 to authorize a reporting agent, you still need to ensure that all forms and deposits are submitted on time. If the reporting agent, for example, fails to pay a deposit on time, you are responsible.
In the Form 8655, you need to fill the information about your business and the reporting agency you choose and which tax turns the reporting agency are permitted to file or make deposits and payments for you.
How to Submit Form 8655 to IRS?
There are two ways to send Form 8655; one is through fax and the other is through the mail.
Fax Form 8655 to IRS
You can fax Form 8655 to the fax number: 855-214-7523.
When faxing Forms 8655, do not send more than 25 forms in a single transmission. If possible, it is better to send faxes from a computer or smartphone instead of a fax machine.
Mail Form 8655 to IRS
The traditional mail method is so familiar to everyone although it is old school.
- Download, print Form 8655, and fill in Form 8655 correctly and eligible.
- Mail the form to IRS based on the address below:
Internal Revenue Service
Accounts Management Service Center
MS 6748 RAF Team
1973 North Rulon White Blvd.
Ogden, UT 84404
- IRS Form 8655, Reporting Agent Authorization, gives a reporting agent the ability to file forms and make payroll tax deposits on your behalf.
- The online fax service is a far more practical solution for people with fax needs.
Related Forms to Fax to IRS