The place to fax Form 2553 varies depending on the principal office location and affairs of the corporation. Many businesses know that they can apply for an S corporation by filing Form 2553 to obtain tax benefits, but do not know where to fax Form 2553. If you are having the same trouble, the following article may give you some insight.
What is Form 2553 and why is it Important to Fax it?
Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, is an Internal Revenue Service form that can be filed by a business to elect to be registered as an S Corporation rather than a C Corporation. Many business owners have got tax benefits by doing so. Application by fax is favored by many people because the fax paper is generally more legally valid and recognized by the state.
Where Can You Fax Form 2553 to IRS?
You may refer to irs.gov:
|IF your corporation’s principal business, office, or agency is located in…||Use the following IRS Center address or fax number|
|Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin||Department of the Treasury|
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999
|Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming||Department of the Treasury|
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT 84201
Steps to Fax Form 2553 to IRS
There are three common ways that people fax Form 2553 to IRS – fax from the personal fax machine, fax from the public fax machine, and fax from online services. A step-by-step guide is shown below:
Fax Form 2553 to IRS from a Personal Fax Machine
- Step 1. Download Form 2553 online. Click here.
- Step 2. You can either print it out or directly use the electronic one.
- Step 3. Fill out the form seriously according to the specific instructions.
- Step 4. When a paper form is used, you should open your fax machine and put it into the document feeder. If an electronic form is used, however, open it on your computer and click “File” and select “Fax” feature.
- Step 5. Fax it to the Internal Revenue Service Center based on the fax number mentioned above.
Fax Form 2553 to IRS from a Public Fax Machine
When a public fax machine is used, however, it seems only the paper form can be used. Therefore, the following steps will be introduced based on paperwork faxing from a public fax machine.
- Step 1. Fill out Form 2553 seriously according to the specific instructions and add your signature if necessary.
- Step 2. Find a public fax machine at a store like UPS, FedEx, or Staples and put your completed form into the feeder.
- Step 3. Confirm the fax number in advance and tell it to the staff working at the store.
- Step 4. Wait for the staff to finish up faxing for you.
- Step 5. Get back your form and keep the original copy. A transmission confirmation should be acquired from the staff.
Fax Form 2553 to IRS from an Online Fax App
- Step 1. Prepare your Form 2553 in a paper or electronic form and get it filled with your information compatible with requirements.
- Step 2. Download and install an online fax app on your device.
- Step 3. Open the app and enter the fax number.
- Step 4. Scan the completed form with the webcam on your digital devices or directly attach the file from third-party sources.
- Step 5. Edit your file by adding a cover page or signing the file.
- Step 6. Preview before you send.
- Step 7. Keep track of the fax status.
- The purpose of Form 2553 is to allow small businesses to register as an S corporation instead of as a C corporation.
- Online faxing makes it easier to fax Form 2553 to IRS.