Fax machines are connected to regular telephone lines. When you use a traditional fax machine, the fax machine makes a call to the number you specify. The target fax machine number answers and the documents are transmitted over the phone.
The process seems to be archaic because it was invented before the Internet.
To perform fax, you may prepare a document and scan it into the fax machine. The person receiving the fax may then scan the faxed document and turn it back into a digital file.
Receiving a fax is much more inconvenient than you think. Dedicated fax lines are used exclusively for faxing, but they can only take care of one call at a time. You may miss the call due to your absence or if another person wants to send you fax while you are transmitting one, he or she will have to wait until your line is free.
If you don’t have a fax machine around you and a public fax machine in a shop near your location is used, you need to stand by it to wait for the fax to arrive, which is especially necessary when the file you’ll receive is a secret file or closely concerned with your privacy.
Without a Fax Machine, Where and How to Receive a Fax?
How to Receive a Fax to Email
Steps vary with each online fax service provider. Here is a typical approach to receiving fax to an email address:
- Step 1: Wait for the fax line to ring. The fax service is always on regardless of whether your computer, smartphone, or email client is active.
- Step 2: Answer the ringing fax line. The sending fax machine transmits the fax information to the fax service.
- Step 3: Store the fax. A web browser, software program, or app can access the faxes.
- Step 4: Email a copy of the fax to the designated email address. The email arrives with a copy of the fax in PDF format.
How to Receive a Fax on a Smartphone
You can download and use the Fax app and turn your phone or even tablet into a pocket-sized fax machine to send and receive faxes on the go.
You will receive a push notification as soon as there is a new fax in your inbox and you can check the received documents inside the app.
How to Receive a Fax on a Computer
If you already have fax software installed on your computer, then usually the process of receiving a fax with a computer goes as follows:
- Step 1: Open the program you want to use to receive the fax.
- Step 2: Wait for the fax line to ring.
- Step 3: When the line rings, there should be a button that says “answer fax.” Press it.
- Step 4: The fax software will answer the line and receive the fax.
- Step 5: The fax will be received electronically. It can then be printed.