The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in Virginia is the state’s first line to support low-income families and those transitioning from poverty to defense against hunger. Low-income households can use coupons and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards to purchase nutritious meals. SNAP users spend their payments at authorized retail food outlets to purchase qualified foods.
Ensure Your Eligibility Before SNAP Benefits Application
Before applying for SNAP benefits in Virginia, it’s required to guarantee your eligibility for its application.
- Income requirements
- Citizen requirements
- Live in Virginia;
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant
If you meet the following requirements, you will qualify for Expedited Service:
- 1) your gross monthly income must be less than $150 and liquid resources $100 or less;
- 2) your monthly shelter bills must be higher than your household’s gross monthly income plus your liquid resources;
- or 3) someone in your household must be a migrant or seasonal farmworker with little or no income and resources.
If Your household qualifies for Expedited Service, you can receive SNAP benefits within 7 days if you are eligible. If you are not qualified for Expedited Service, your application will be processed within 30 days.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Apply for SNAP Benefits in Virginia
Virginia citizens are allowed to apply for SNAP in three ways, online, in person, and in writing.
Visit the official website https://commonhelp.virginia.gov/access/ to apply for SNAP online.
Apply for SNAP over the phone by calling 855-635-4370.
Take the application form to your local department of social services (LDSS). This method for SNAP application isn’t suggested during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Mail or fax the application to your LDSS.
How to Use SNAP Benefits?
You can buy nutritious food for your household. You may also buy seeds or plants to grow your own food. However, you are not permitted to buy y hot food ready to be eaten in the store, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, soap, paper products, or other non-food items. You can also buy food items online, but SNAP benefits cannot be used to pay for fees of any type, such as delivery, service, or convenience fees.
How to Apply for SNAP Benefits in Virginia from a Phone
It’s the easiest to apply for SNAP or other programs when a smartphone is used. FAX app is capable of changing a phone into a fax machine allowing users to fill, sign and send SNAP application form anytime and anywhere.
- Step 1. Download FAX app and install it on your device, iOS or Android.
- Step 2. Finish filling your SNAP application form and scan it with the webcam on your phone.
- Step 3. Sign your SNAP application form, add a cover sheet, edit and preview your fax document.
- Step 4. Fill in the fax number and tap the “Send” button to complete faxing.